Van Wyck Dress Code
Purpose: The purpose of the dress code is to help establish the optimum learning environment for all our students. We believe that the dress code will instill respect for self as well as foster mutual respect among all students. We believe that our students can only benefit from a dress code that seeks to enhance the overall atmosphere of learning.
- Student dress and grooming is to be neat, clean, and safe at all times.
- Clothing or jewelry that supports or promotes profanity, the consumption of alcohol, drugs, and/or tobacco, sexually suggestive phrases, or any other inappropriate phrases or symbols is not permitted
- At no time should the student’s midriff or private parts be visible while standing, sitting, walking, or participating in normal school activities.
- All headgear including, but not limited to, hats, sunglasses, hair curlers, skullies, do-rags, and bandanas, may not be worn in class. Head covering is reserved for religious and health and safety reasons only.
- Articles hanging from clothing, such as chains, are not permitted.
- Pajamas are not permitted nor are pajama-like clothes.
- Shoes, sandals, and sneakers are to be worn properly laced and safely secured to the feet. Flip-flops are not permitted.
- Clothing that is distractible, such as garments that inappropriately expose body parts or articles of undergarments are not permitted. This means specifically no low-cut shirts, skin tight fitted clothing, no tank tops, no spaghetti strap tops, no halter tops, no vests, no see-through or mesh garments worn without clothing underneath. Sleeveless tops are permitted. Top must cover from neck to end of shoulder. Exposing only the arm..
- All articles of clothing must be safe and healthy to wear. For example, all shorts are to be worn below mid-thigh and pants should not be worn below the heel of the shoe. Skirts and dresses are to be worn near the knee.
- Face masks or face coverings are not permitted in school.
- Jewelry – wearing of chains or safety pins from belt loops, buckles, clothing or other articles in one’s possession is not permitted. Ball and/or link chains worn around neck must be tight enough to avoid being pulled. Metal necklaces, metal bracelets and jewelry with spikes create a potential health and safety issue and are not permitted.
- Coats, jackets, or outer clothing, etc. must be placed in lockers and not worn during school.
- Backpacks or book bags are not to be worn or carried during school. These must be placed in the locker. The string type backpacks apply.
- Hats may not be worn in school or attached to one's belt or clothing.
- Please refer to District Code of Behavior for the consequences of violating the dress code.
- Parents will be called when there is a dress code concern. A student may be placed in ISR until a change in clothes is made.
- The dress code must be followed at all times during special events such as spirit week unless permission is granted by the building principal.